Over the past couple of weeks I have been making improvements to the Fortran code and I made use of github.
For the Fortran code, I made the following updates:
1) Transitioned the code to version 3. This includes making each logical program segment into a separate subroutine, and having the main program perform a list of calls to the individual subroutines.
2) I have modified the code so that it make an initial passthrough to count the number of elements. This obviates the need to enter this information on the command line.
For the Python code, I have made the following updates:
1) I have modified the Python code so that it takes in comma separated, floating point values in “E” format, i.e. 3.14159E0, and translates it into fixed floating point with 20 digits of precision. The 20 digits is done for compatibility and an attempt to eliminate round-off errors.
Use of gitHub:
1) Recently, I have the need to be able to work remotely from home. This immediately opened the thorny issue of revision control for a fairly complex directory tree. After trying a number of configurations of github, I settled on having the entire website directory to be what is tracked. So if I make a change to any html file, both my laptop and server will have a common repository to work off of. Since the Fortran/Python code that is displayed on the website resides in a code directory underneath the main HTML directory, any changes to the Fortran/Python code will also be tracked automatically by git. This also enables the Free Open-Source Software philosophy, since my repo is open to the public.
The repo is at: